As you may know, we’re big advocates for the importance of iodine when it comes to supporting women’s health. However, iodine is also an essential nutrient many men are missing from their diet that could be harming their sex drive. Research has revealed that iodine deficiency could be the cause of erectile dysfunction and a low libido. You probably wouldn’t believe us if we said that seaweed could be the solution. Read on to find out how the essential nutrient iodine is just as important for men as it is women.
Symptoms of an Iodine Deficiency in Men
Iodine is a vital nutrient that plays a role in many bodily processes yet deficiency is common which can cause hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism occurs when the thyroid gland does not make a sufficient number of thyroid hormones causing unpleasant symptoms. This is an important health concern for many women, yet men also have a thyroid gland and therefore can develop hypothyroidism. In the UK, it affects 15 in every 1,000 women, and 1 in every 1,000 men (1). So, whilst it is more common in women, it's not something that should be overlooked in men.
An underactive thyroid in men can present with symptoms such as hair loss, loss of muscle mass, depression, delayed or premature ejaculation, decreased sex drive and weight gain (2). Do these symptoms sound familiar? To take our two-minute quiz to find out if you are iodine deficient, click here.
Iodine and Testosterone Levels
Studies show that hypothyroidism can lower free testosterone levels in the blood as well as levels of sex hormone-binding globulin, a protein which carries testosterone round the body (3). Both contribute to low testosterone which can cause all these unwanted side effects. More notably, previous studies have also shown that an iodine deficiency was associated with decreasing semen quality and quantity which can cause fertility complications (4). This, along with erectile dysfunction and decreased sex drive makes it equally important that men have a sufficient iodine intake as women, to ensure a healthy thyroid and optimal sex life.
The superfood that footballers Christiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi swear by
Ronaldo and Messi have recently shared their favourite superfood, seaweed which has vastly improved their performance, providing them with a boost of energy and contributing to optimal fitness during matches (5). If Ronaldo and Messi believe in it – it must be good! Seaweed could be the answer you’re looking for to give you that added boost of energy and lift your libido to help you function optimally.
Why Seaweed is Your Sex Life Saviour
We believe that everyone deserves sufficient education on the importance of essential nutrition from seaweed, a superfood that could in turn be an unexpected sex life saviour! Low libido or erectile dysfunction can be seen as a taboo topic that is not often spoken about, but this can be caused by a common yet easily corrected nutritional deficiency.
So, how can men ensure they’re getting enough iodine? Seaweed is the answer! Thankfully, Doctor Seaweed’s range of nutritional seaweed supplements make it easy and convenient to include seaweed in your diet. Just one capsule contains as much iodine as you would expect to find in a portion of white fish making it easy to consume your recommended daily intake, without consuming animal products or artificial sources. Doctor Seaweed’s Focus+ Capsules are designed specifically to boost energy and improve mental agility to ensure optimal thyroid health which can, in turn, lift your libido and improve sexual performance. Click here to find out more about the range.
1. Inform N. Underactive thyroid symptoms and treatments [Internet]. www.nhsinform.scot. 2023. Available from: https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/glands/underactive-thyroid#:~:text=Both%20men%20and%20women%20can
2. Buzzrx. What Are the Signs of Thyroid Problems in Men? [Internet]. BuzzRx. 2022 [cited 2023 Apr 28]. Available from: https://www.buzzrx.com/blog/what-are-the-signs-of-thyroid-problems-in-men
3. Walker J. Does Hypothyroidism Reduce Testosterone Levels? | Paloma Health [Internet]. www.palomahealth.com. 2022 [cited 2023 Apr 28]. Available from: https://www.palomahealth.com/learn/hypothyroidism-testosterone#:~:text=Testosterone%20levels%20can%20fall%20in
4. Sun Y, Chen C, Liu GG, Wang M, Shi C, Yu G, et al. The association between iodine intake and semen quality among fertile men in China. BMC Public Health [Internet]. 2020 Apr 6 [cited 2021 Feb 12];20. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7137216/
5. Malata C. Ronaldo, Messi and Benzema all eat secret superfood to stay in top shape [Internet]. The Sun. 2022 [cited 2023 Apr 28]. Available from: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19183128/cristiano-ronaldo-messi-benzema-seaweed-diet/